Saturday, February 14, 2009

Life with Riley

Friends of ours have a son named Riley, who is two weeks younger than Quinn. Quinn is fascinated with Riley. Riley was over for a pre-daycare afternoon recently, and the two of them has a ball together. They're too young to play together, but they followed one another around and Quinn giggled and smiled whenever Riley did anything.

Quinn is always fascinated with other kids, but he seems particularly so with Riley. I theorize that it's because they are so close in age. At this stage, kids differ so much in capabilities for just a small difference in age; Riley is close enough in age to Quinn as to be someone Quinn can really identify with, capability-wise. Riley is taking his first steps - maybe this will be inspirational for Quinn.

While he's interested in other kids, I can't even fathom having him in daycare right now. I'm so glad Bec's staying home for a second year. I guess millions of kids do it and thrive. Riley didn't miss his mom much in his afternoon here, to mixed reactions of his mother. But for us it just doesn't feel right; we would have tried to prep him for it and I'm sure he would have been fine, but it wouldn't have been a natural progression. I guess sometimes we all grow at a natural pace, and sometimes we're thrust into growing, but with the option available to us, why thrust him unnecessarily? In this case, living the life of Riley would not be, for us, the Life of Riley.

1 comment:

ARHS Library said...

I guess the last I heard was that you were considering the option of Bec taking a second year at home with Quinn. It's a big commitment, for both of you, and yet of all the decisions I have made during my adult life, choosing to be at home with my children during their early years is one I will never regret. For however long it works for all of you, I hope it will continue to feel right, to feel that it is your version of "the life of Riley".