Sunday, November 23, 2008

Went Snuffelupagus On Me

Bec, Quinn and I attended a First Birthday party for one of Quinn's friends yesterday. They had a batch of helium balloons and when Quinn caught sight of them he stared at them. I picked him up and we walked over to them and he spent about 10 minutes batting at the balloons like a speed bag, grunting and making his Interested Sound. He was so into it he was working up a sweat.

Quinn got one of the balloons out of the deal and he just loved it. It was pink but I was calling it Very Light Red. Anyway this morning the helium balloon had lost a little steam, causing it to drift around the house just below ceiling level. Quinn was transfixed. Over the next little while it lost even more such that it hovered about floor level. Quinn was completely fascinated with it and played with it for about 25 minutes straight, which is an eon when you're not quite a year old. He'd bat it up in the air and it would slowly drift back down. He'd stare at it, galvanized. He'd bat it across the room and then go chase it. He'd carefully grab the tether and bat the balloon repeatedly and get a great big grin on his face.

I thought this was all interesting enough to capture on video. I grabbed the little camera and started recording. Suddenly Quinn stopped doing anything and sat and carefully examined the balloon. After a minute of boring footage I stopped recording. Quinn immediately started batting the balloon and doing interesting things. I started filming again. Quinn began a thorough examination of the balloon again. So I don't have the video proof, and you'll just have to take my word for it that it really was quite interesting to watch his reaction to the balloon.

No comments: