Saturday, January 24, 2009

Loves 'em like Lenny

Quinn loves the cats so much. Unfortunately he hasn't quite figured out how to express that love in a way this is mutually acceptable with the cats. Quinn gets this glowing shine in his eyes when he catches sight of one of them and he immediately engages in high speed pursuit no matter what he was doing. In programming parlance, the cats are the highest priority interrupt. Tulsa wisely always flees in terror. Luther is beginning to learn to, but he didn't / doesn't always. Luther is beginning to bat back a little which is concerning. We're having to police relations a little more closely.

It turns out our beloved cat Luther is suffering from heart problems. He had two cups of liquid drained from his chest cavity yesterday which has eased his breathing but his long-term prognosis is not so good. We got him back today after an overnight at the vet. He's not himself yet, but hopefully it's just due to being out of his territory for a day, which he never deals with well.

Luther is smart and seems to understand people. He seems to appreciate when people try to understand him, as I do. He is a very people oriented cat and he's the first animal I think I've ever truly loved. I have to say I have some regrets for not spending as much time with him this past year. I have pared down the number of relationships I maintain in order to try to do each one justice, and of the ones that remain Luther is unfortunately low on the list. Hopefully I can make it up to him in whatever remaining time we have together.

No comments: