Friday, March 6, 2009

Cereal escapades

Last Saturday morning I got up with Quinn to give Bec a break, as I hadn't been contributing much due to the stress of my work instability (layoffs occurred Thursday and I wasn't one of them...let's hope they're over for awhile...). Bec had given me instructions some days previously regarding his breakfast cereal. In my (very early...) morning fog I began preparations.

I found the box of powdered cereal. I began to dump some in a dish. Tip, nothing. Tip, tap, tap, nothing. Tip, Whack WHOOSH, a whole bunch. Hmmm, looks like a week's worth. Oh well let's see what I can make of it. How much water should I add? Read box. Smiling baby, organic, friendly, we're so nice...no directions. How much water?? This is clearly not targetted at engineers. Read top of box, bottom, sides...nothing. Oh well, let's wing it. Run tap, pour water into dish WHOOSH instant soup about an inch deep. Hmmm, a do-over in order methinks.

A second attempt with wiser applications of tapping and pouring seemed to produce the right consistency. Now...she said something about prunes. No prune cereal boxes...check fridge, no none in there. Think. Baby food jars, that's it! Find stash, find prunes jar, open it. Now what? Stir it in? How much? With newly aquired wisdom from pouring escapades I spooned in a bit and stirred, then repeated. There, looks pretty much like when Bec makes it.

By the time I finally finished, I think Quinn was so hungry he would have eaten anything. As it was, he ate lots of the cereal and the mission was a success. Now if I can just get my prep time down under half an hour maybe he won't starve on my watch. Wish me luck - it's probably my turn again tomorrow.

No comments: