Friday, August 21, 2009

Gifts from Daddy

I had an appointment near a toy store this week, so I bought a couple gifts for Quinn. They are quite possibly the first gifts I have ever bought for Quinn. That might sound a little strange, but with the deluge of gifts from all fronts there just never seemed to be an opportunity. There was a brief span of a couple days where nobody was buying him anything and I spied my opportunity.

The first gift was a slinky. A good old fashioned slinky. Quinn loved it. He was so excited he squealed for a solid 15 minutes. We got it to 'walk' down a couple artificial steps we set up on the counter and he loved it so much we had to do it again and again. 175 times. It mattered not if you didn't get the stepping to work right - the topple-overs elicited even bigger squeals.

I was going to hold off a day on giving the other gift, but Quinn had already caught sight of it so the jig was up. It was a set of kitchen toys (plates, bowls, cutlery, etc) to go with the big play kitchen Bec found at the second-hand store the other day (and carried home several blocks precariously perched on the stroller, much to the amusement of several witnessing mommy-friends along the way). Well Quinn just loved those too. We had pretend tea and pretend breakfast and pretend dinner. He poured and sipped and cooked and ate. His understanding and imagination amaze me.

I woke up this morning and heard the clink of the slinky. I came downstairs and there were kitchen toys strewn everywhere. Looks like I did pretty well with my opportunity. Next one should come around when he's, oh, twelve or so. I'll have to start working on ideas soon.

No comments: