Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Farewell Aunt Faith

My beloved aunt, Faith Burgess, has succumbed to cancer. She was fortunate in that she was able to do so from the comforts of her own home, with her husband of over half a century holding her hand as she took her last breath. My heart goes out to my Uncle Bruce, who served yeoman service in the labour of love that was caring for his wife during her time of troubles. My heart goes out to my cousin Clifford for whom it must have been difficult to have been separated from his ailing mother while working in Switzerland. My heart goes out to my cousin Wendy, for whom it must have been difficult to see her vibrant mother ravaged by disease, on top of all other challenges that life presents.

As a Nova Scotian transplant in Ottawa, I have been fortunate over the years to have been the beneficiary of the love and caring of the Burgess family that live in the area. Being someone for whom family is important, and being so far away from my immediate family, it has always meant a tremendous amount to me. Uncle Bruce & Aunt Faith were so gracious in inviting Rebecca & I for a family gathering they had over last Christmas break. It was an inspirational visit due to the exceptionally high quality of human beings in that family - and Aunt Faith was known to be sick at the time and the prognosis wasn't especially good. It added a sombre undertone that she was determined should not drag down the event.

That visit epitomized so much of what I loved about my Aunt Faith. She responded about her state of health when asked, but urged everyone not to dwell on it and pressed the conversation elsewhere. She encouraged others to speak and listened intently, as she always did. She was a lay preacher but was never preachy about her beliefs, as evidenced on that day when the conversation turned to religious topics. She was so positive and upbeat, as she always was, even in the face of long odds. There was reminiscing about her golfing with the grandkids and of her roller blading exploits - both of which were two of many things taken up relatively late in life by my avid-learner aunt. She was drinking in every moment of having her family around that she loved so much. She laughed a lot. She looked and sounded great. That day will live in my memory for a long, long time.

In so many ways, you inspired me Aunt Faith. Thank you for being you. I love you, wherever you are.

No comments: