Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Free-range child?

There's an interesting story in the Globe And Mail about the burgeoning 'Slow' counterculture. I must say it piques my interest. I have borrowed the book - "In Praise of Slow" - and I'm part way through it. It doesn't espouse a return to medieval times, but rather merely balance and placing a higher value on downtime. That will be a difficult tightrope to walk as Quinn gets older I'm sure. I know I was awfully busy growing up but I enjoyed everything I did and didn't want to give up any of it. I remember being disappointed giving up piano lessons but it was the most expendable of all the things I was doing. But this winter I reduced my commitments to once a week, and currently my slate is completely clear, allowing my to enjoy my new family to the fullest.

No comments: