Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bedtimes

Since we've gotten back from NS, we've established a pretty consistent bedtime routine, and it seems to be quite effective. Bec changes him, I read to him, then sing to him softly, and then Bec takes him to bed and nurses him to sleep. That last step has taken awhile on a couple of nights, but it's gone quite quickly some nights too. Last night was about 10 minutes, although Bec hung around a few minutes to ensure he was good and out. Tonight he started looking tired before the proscribed bedtime so we started early, thereby hopefully averting any overtired owliness.

Teaching Quinn to sleep has offered some valuable insights into my own sleep. None of it is rocket science, but it seems easy to lose sight of it amid all the rush to get things done. Particularly, avoiding mental or physical stimulation before bedtime, establishing a wind-down routine, creating an atmosphere conducive to sleep, and just plain old going to bed when one is tired, are all valuable sleep promoters I'd overlooked in my own life. I'm having the best sleep of my life and I have a 5 month old son. Go figure.

We have the crib beside our bed now. We're hoping to soon be able to make the transition 3 feet to the right to get him from our bed into his own crib. It doesn't seem like a major leap to me. We'll see how it goes.

He seems sensitive to overheating in the heat & humidity we're going through currently. It makes sense I guess - all that insulating brown baby fat makes it more difficult for him to regulate his temperature. At least the fact that he gets all gross & sweaty is a good thing - it means his little body is doing what it can to shed heat.

No comments: