Friday, June 20, 2008

A sleep turning point?

For the third time in the last 5 months, Rebecca has had to choose to go to bed tonight. All other nights she's been held captive by Quinn. He's learning to sleep on his own. The last couple times it took a couple interventions to get him through a couple hours but tonight he just went to sleep and that was it. Bec is so used to just doing stuff until he stirs that she almost forgot to decide to go to bed.

She has changed tack the last week or so to nurse him to sleep when he's already in bed, rather than carrying him until he falls asleep. That, combined with finally abandoning the co-sleeper, I think has led us to this turning point. I now wish we'd tried this approach earlier, but oh well, better late than never. I haven't been able to get him to sleep at nighttime for a long time now and it's been difficult on Bec. I take part in the nighttime routine though, and the Plan is for me to get involved with the getting-him-to-sleep-in-bed process.

Does this perhaps mean we'll be able to get him to sleep on his own without having to cry it out? I'm not counting any sheep before they're over the fence but I'm certainly a lot more hopeful at this point. Tune in next year for the exciting conclusion.

No comments: