Sunday, June 14, 2009

Words

Quinn is finally beginning to use some words - I was beginning to think that our mental calisthenics in figuring out what he was yelling about was going to set him back. Predictably, the first, the most used, and the most distinguishable is 'no'. However Quinn puts his own personality stamp on it. When he's ambivalent enough emotionally it comes out as a "Nuup" with a glint in his eye that is quite cute. At least for now. When he's quite emotional it is your traditional toddler "NOOOO". The more spectacular renditions include laying flat on the floor, squeezing his arms tight to his body, and other evasive maneuvers. Yes, we're into toddler-ness. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often as of yet. He's also been trying some other words. 'Help', 'half, 'banana' ('nana').

It's funny, but it all seemed to start one day when I commented to Quinn that I was looking forward to him starting to talk because I'm interested in what he is saying in his many babblings. It might have been (probably was) coincidental, but I always wonder how much he understands. I'm certainly not going to tell any dirty jokes around him - like my mother did when I was a kid, only to have me repeat it around the cottage cornboil bonfire to the hilarity of all the little old ladies in attendance. When it comes to assuming his understanding of good stuff, I'll just say "Nuup", but when it comes to saying bad stuff in front of him I'll state an emphatic "NOOOOO"...

No comments: