Friday, July 4, 2008

A heartfelt "Get Well"

Quinn's Grampa Simpson is in hospital with heart troubles - get well Grampa! Things appear to be well in hand, and hopefully things proceed speedily to a healthy conclusion. Apparently he got to use his Crackberry some today so that should head off any withdrawal heart issues...

The prospect of a hospital visit has me softening my stance on vaccinations for Quinn. Quinn's 6 month birthday is coming up and we were more than likely going to start them anyway, but this issue pretty much cinched it. After researching it some, it appears mercury isn't used in vaccines any more, so that's not an issue. The autism rate appears to be growing astronomically whether people have vaccines or not, so that appears to be unrelated (although it's difficult to get hard facts on this issue...). Overwhelming their little immune system can be eased by spreading out the vaccines some rather than having them all at once (some writeups would have you believe the impact isn't much anyway). I worry that getting one's immune system permanently turned on leads to future problems like allergies or autoimmune diseases but there is no direct evidence of such that I know of. So we'll get him vaccinated. All we can do is make the best decision we can with the information we have at the time. And try to put out of our minds what the source of the information is or might be...

I managed to survive my first three days back to work. I was even productive. When I got home each day though, I was VERY excited to see Quinn, and the enthusiasm rubbed off on him I think - he laughed and giggled as we played when I got home. He's figured out how to roll over again (back to front) and he loves to do that. He's finding his voice too. I'm afraid he's not going to be softspoken.... Yesterday it sounded a little like the last rasps of a sword-stricken soldier; today at least it began to sound less grating.

No comments: