Saturday, July 12, 2008

How much to help?

Quinn loves his Exersaucer now. He really plays with the toys on it now. He can really recognize and remember things now - he remembers his exersaucer, his blocks, his plastic giraffe. He even recognizes the books I read to him each night - he always smiles when I bring out "What's wrong little Pookie", his current favourite.

When he was in his exersaucer this morning, the microphone toy got pointed away from him. He was struggling to get it back within range so I moved it back towards him several times. This evening he was in it again and Bec pointed the microphone back towards him a couple of times. Then when we were eating in the kitchen while keeping an eye on him in he exersaucer in the living room, we saw him turn the microphone back around all on his own.

Now, it's a bit unusual for him to be that much on his own to play, but here he was learning to do something independently. It brings to my mind a question: how much to help one's kid out, and how much to let them figure it out on their own. I guess that will be a lifelong question and I won't always get it right, but I hope I/we achieve the right balance.

No comments: