Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Great Snowstorm of '08

51cm of snow! Holy cow! Growing up in snowbelt NS I've seen some doozies, but I don't think I've been in one that big before. It started Friday night and ended early Sunday. For various reasons I was late getting started shovelling but it worked out perfectly - our neighbour has a cousin who drives a Bobcat for a snow removal contractor and he stopped by for a visit just as they finished their shovelling. However they saw me just getting started so he offered to help. That saved me a few hours of hard labour! Good thing too, because my back was still hurting from last Wednesday's 20cm.

Ottawa has received 404cm (159" or 13'3") of snow so far this winter. The record is 444.1cm. They say if we have average snowfall from now til April we'll beat the record. I'm hoping for it - we might as well have something to brag about for all this shovelling.

Like so many, I am running out of places to put the snow. They did snow removal on Friday night and I shovelled the top two feet of the 6' mountain of snow on the front yard into the street before the big snowblower went by. After shovelling it's back up to about 7 feet. And that's with the bobcat pushing much of the snow elsewhere.

A few pics:





No comments: