Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ups and downs

Quinn laughed for the first time this morning. It was the cutest thing ever by far. Tonight he was tired and fussy, wailed whenever I held him and quieted immediately as soon as Bec took him. Definite preference for mommy these last few days. I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong. Maybe I'm not doing enough right. Maybe it's just a stage, I dunno. I'm trying hard not to take it personally but it's not working very well...

OLPC laptop arrived today. It's pretty neat. After several hours of wrangling and web reading and drawing on over a decade of unix and telecom experience I finally got the wireless working. It's a great idea, but I don't know how kids in developing countries would ever know how to "su -l '/home/olpc/Wpa.sh'". Maybe the mesh networking would work out-of-the-box when you don't have to worry about Bell calling you a communist. Anyway, it's a bit slow but really not bad at all for a $200 laptop that you can pour your coffee on. From what I read on the web it seems to be popular with the gearhead population, and I'm not alone in having bought it "for my 2 month old" :)

Check it out at http://laptop.org/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

all you have to do to compete with mommy is to grow breasts and feed him. but you'll get your turn when it is time for him to choose whether to watch an action film or a chick flick....