Sunday, February 24, 2008

A great skate

After some debate, we decided to go for a skate on the canal today. I had been feeling flu-like and wasn't feeling great when I got up. We didn't know whether Bec was healed up enough for skating or not. I felt a little better as the morning progressed. We decided to go and take it slow and not too far and see how it went.

It was (is) a gloriously sunny day, around freezing. The canal was in great shape. We got there around 1045am before the huge main throngs of midday. We went across Dow's Lake from the pavilion and the Beaver Tails line was wayyy long and we were still feeling good so we pressed on to 5th Avenue to try the Beaver Tails hut there. The line was better there, so Bec stood in line while I loitered aimlessly with Quinn to keep him asleep. He eventually awoke and fussed. Bec took him into a change-hut to feed him while I took her place in line. He fed really well in the hut and got a suitable amount of Random Grandmother attention at the same time. I eventually procured a Beaver Tail and we ate it in the hut. He decided he wanted to feed some more so I decided to go for a skate by myself (well, with the other 10000 people on the canal by that time). I made it all the way to the NAC for a total skate of about 13km. Bec did about 7km I think. She was a little sore on the way back but all in all felt really good.

Quinn was in the car seat attached to the Muttsy stroller via a special adapter that meant we could just take him out of the car and snap him into the stroller. It worked like a charm. Easy transitions to and from the car, and the stroller was fantastic on the canal with the large inflated wheels providing almost no resistance. After looking at people with kids in sleds, sleighs, and umbrella strollers and seeing how much work that looked like, I was glad we forked out the $$$ for the Muttsy. It's awfully large but very good.

Quinn slept on the way out and was awake the whole way back but was a good as gold the whole time. He made up for it with a yangy afternoon.

No comments: