Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What do 11-day olds dream of?

Quinn was asleep on my chest this evening and several times he would give these occasional starts with quick breathing and short cries that sounded scared. I held him and reassured him and he settled down each time. I wondered though, whether something was going through that little brain of his while he slept, and wondered what an 11-day old would dream of. Was it the the trauma of birth? The first days of trying to communicate needs to new parents? Was he missing a favourite Hindu cow from a previous life? Then he burped. Maybe that's all it was, but I still wonder what goes through the mind of an 11-day old.

We learned a lesson in scheduling with a newborn today. We were going to all go for a walk, and we tried to make it coincide with an appointment I had in the neighbourhood. Unfortunately he decided he was hungry just prior to that time, and then he filled his pants with a massive poop. As Bec was changing him he peed on her followed by puking on her. Everyone had to change. I met them *after* my appointment. On the upside, the sun came out during the delay and we walked all the way down to Bridgehead on a beautiful day. Roll with the punches I guess.

We had another visit to the midwife today. Quinn checked out great - after being born 9lbs and going down to 8lbs 3oz, he's back up to 9lbs 8oz. Not bad for 11 days old. A quick spreadsheet projects he'll be 114lbs by the time he's two. I better get my licks in now :) He also passed a hearing test and Bec is healing well, so all is well on the health front.

No comments: