Thursday, February 21, 2008

Stage of the moment

I'm going to try hard to appreciate him the most that I can at every stage. It strikes me that parent/kid friction often occurs when there is a disconnect between perceived and actual stage. Parents can push kids too fast. Parents can persist in seeing their kids as they were in some favourite but bygone stage. Kids can see themselves as more advanced than they really are. Kids can distance themselves from parents. Parents can sometimes not really be aware of stage their kid is at for one reason or another. There are so many ways the wheels can fall off. I'm guessing this is one of the hardest parts of parenting over the long haul. But I get ahead of myself. He can't roll over yet. Stay in the moment. Right.

Quinn appears to want things to look at now. He looks at toys on the side of the crib. He gets so completely galvanized by some rotating doodads on a kid swing we have that Rebecca feels guilty about using it. He listens intently when I sing to him, at least briefly. The last two days he has produced what looked tantalizingly like a smile when I got home from work. Yes, I think this stage is going pretty well.

No comments: