Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A smile maybe?

I was singing to Quinn during his quiet alert time tonight and he was looking intently at me through it. At the end of it I was smiling at him, and it looked all the world like he smiled back at me with a glimmer in his eye. All the literature says that doesn't happen til 4 to 6 weeks old, and try as I might to combat the "my kid is so advanced" instinct that all parents seem to have, the absence of any apparent burping or farting around the purported smile made me wonder...

At the very least perhaps he's learned to make his mouth go a different way that we can condition into a socially triggered smile in a few weeks. I was feeling overwhelmed and inadequate today, so whether or not I was reading too much into it, it was a heartening event.

No comments: