Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It was great fun while it lasted

With heavy heart, I prepare for my return to work tomorrow. It's been a fantastic three weeks. We've all come a long way I think. The first week was learning some basic babycare skills and survival. The second week was trying to read Quinn a little better and improve our babycare skills to a point where we could recover a tiny smidgen of our own selves. The third week was about going out into the world with a baby and all the requisite paraphernalia, getting Rebecca comfortable with carting Quinn around by herself and learning what resources are available out there. It's gone quite well and felt like a natural progression. I think back to that first night of Quinn's wailing and the helpless feeling I felt with him so dependent on us and me feeling so utterly inept. But Rebecca has been a star through it all and we've all gotten through it. I love our little family. Quinn is a great kid and growing like a weed.

Now I join the legions of people who see their kids for an hour or two each weeknight. It makes me sad, but it has to be. Bec & Quinn are going to meet me for lunch tomorrow. Hopefully that will take some of the sting out of the first day back. There are always weekends I guess, plus the 4 weeks I plan to take in June. It could be worse I suppose - I could live in the U.S. and get what, 3 days?

No comments: