Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The reason?

Now that we've figured out a few things about baby-ownership we're trying to expand our comfort zone, especially with regard to things Bec will do with Quinn once I'm back to work. Bec loves movies, so today's excursion was to a mom & baby-friendly matinée movie. The sound is lower, they don't dim the lights completely, they have change tables in the hall and a place to put strollers, and nobody is allowed to complain about wailing babies. Today we saw 'Bucket List'. It's a real tear jerker but the alternative was the chick flick '27 Dresses' and there's no need of me seeing that. It all went swimmingly. Quinn fed twice, slept, and uttered barely a peep through it all. He's proving to be an able adventurer.

Years ago cousin Wendy and I had a conversation about why we have kids - are they the meaning of life, or are they just a huge amazing distraction? If there was a conclusion it was lost amid the beers, and the whole idea was pretty abstract to me then. But the movie today made me revisit that question in the context of my last two weeks. A theme of Bucket List is the two terminally ill main characters discussing the ancient Egyptian theory that upon death you were asked two questions before being admitted to heaven: the first is "Have you experienced joy?"; and the second is "Have you helped others to experience joy?". While certainly not the only way to be able to answer "yes" to both questions, from my vantage point parenthood looks like a strong potential candidate for such. I know I've already experienced joy in only the first twelve days, and with every fibre of my being I want to bring joy to my son. Perhaps that's all the reason we ever need.

No comments: